BMW E36 Coupe 320i Instrument Cluster Test
Car - BMW E36 Coupe 320i - 10.1992 model year.
This test is rather simple just to ensure that every light and gauge of the instrument cluster is OK and it also gives some factory codes directly from the memory chips of the cluster itself. You have to hold down the trip reset button and turn the key to position 1 and not 2. If you do this correctly it is actually possible to NOT reset the trip counter.
BMW DIAGNOSTIC CODES
A built-in BMW, self diagnostic code gives the benefit of troubleshooting a failure car component, the method to retrieve the faulty codes after Check Engine light turns on. This method helps car lovers to pin point the problem and replace the defecting component quickly and cost effectively. It works on models that have same instruments and LED's layout.
Below here is the code table to interpret the meaning:
BMW 3 Series E36
This video is about the history of BMW 3 Series E36. On the video you will see an onboard view from it. The driver is my father.
E39 540i Instrument cluster pixels fixed
First test run before final reassembly, all pixels are finally back. Materials used: enameled copper magnet wire 38 gauge, soldered to the PCB and glued with Wire Glue (carbon based) to the panel. A thin layer of epoxy to seal the glued wires. Procedure is as follows:
1. Remove the OEM cable, keep it for reference.
2. Clean both the panel and the board; credit card works well.
3. Cut enough wires to length, about 180 wires roughly 1" long, the shorter the better.
4. Expose copper from enamel on both ends of all wires (I used solder bath for that).
5. Set your panel so it won't move, use a strip of double-sided sticky tape to hold your wires when you gluing them until the glue is dry.
6. Glue all wires, make sure there are no shorts.
7. Solder all to the board and test.
8. Apply a thin layer of epoxy over the glued wires to seal them permanently.
9. Modify the supporting white plastic piece so that it doesn't push on the PCB board where the wires are now soldered. Basically the areas where the rubber goes need to be ground off.
10. Assemble and enjoy!
Resetting BMW service light
This is to show you how to use the BMW service/oil light reset tool.
These are available at http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110675970239
BMW 318i Top Gear 1991
Top Gear's Chris Goffey reviews the BMW 318i E36 Model from 1991.
Also features William Woolard at the start of the clip who presented Top Gear for 10 years, this is one of the last few episodes before he left.
How to clear Check Engine Light and Fault Codes BMW
The method of clearing engine light needs to pass inspection. If you have check engine light turning on after the car runs for several miles. Park to nearest Inspection station, and after clearing Check Engine Light, bring in for inspection. This is good only for car manufactured before 1996 BMW. It also reset all the fault code BMW.
Below is BMW Fault Codes Table:
BMW Oil Change - E36 M3
http://www.AutoWerksofAmerica.com A BMW oil change is easily done with a few simple tools and a little instruction. Our example is a 1997 BMW E36 M3. Refer to your owners manual and follow all the safety precautions.
Whether you do it yourself for fun or to save money, AutoWerks of America has the BMW parts to get the job done. http://www.autowerksofamerica.com/